Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Blog Post 8

The first point the teacher brings up is interacting with the students and making it about them learning and not you looking good while presenting it. Mr. Mclung talked about how he was so worried about looking good in front of his superiors that he lost the true meaning of teaching, and that is to make sure the students are learning. After realizing this he made important changes in his approach of delivering a lesson and this has helped him in so many ways. I really liked the fact that he was humbled enough to realize something needed to be changed in his classrooms, and that he was not like 90 percent of teachers now a days who think that they do everything perfect, and refuse to believe otherwise.
I really liked how he realized that he was not going to always give the perfect lesson, but he did try his hardest to make sure whatever he said, he would have a smile on his face while doing it. I like this as well, because as a student, it is always nice to see the teacher smiling and actually enjoying what they are doing. The part about communication was awesome. I completely agree with the fact that good communication leads to better understanding. You can definitely tell that Mr. McLung is a very mature man. His remarks about not setting the goal to high and picking the kids spirits back up when they fail are priceless.

2 comments:

  1. I agree Sam. Mr. McClung's post is very powerful. You made some great points about what he said. When you get to the bottom of it, his remarks reveal that teachers are just like any other humanbeings, they must keep their pride in check. The best way to do this is through honest reflection. When you look back at what you did honestly then you can see where you need to adjust to improve. This requires, as you said, a little humility. Knowin there is always more you need to know and being willing to reflect and adjust are provably the most important behaviors a teacher can model for their students.

    Keep up the good work Sam. SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m constantly trying to mentally prepare myself for my first year of teaching. I can learn as much as I can in school, but until I am in the classroom by myself with little faces looking towards me for the answers, I just won’t know. I agree as teachers we have to see what works and what doesn't and adjust accordingly. I also think we need to keep in mind that each year will be different; each set of students we have will be different. Learning lasts a lifetime. As long as we approach learning what to do with each group of our students in a positive manner, that attitude can be reflected onto them.

    ReplyDelete