Sunday, June 27, 2010

Blog Post 7

Randy Pausch Last Lecture

I really liked how he started off by mentioning that anything was possible and that we did not need to lose sight of that. I also like the picture of Neil Armstrong landing on the moon. I also thought it was neat how he put together a team and they won a trip to go on the Vomit Comet. He brought up a good point whenever he said to bring something to the table because that will always make you more welcomed. I completely agree with him in this situation, because I think that whenever you come prepared to deliver a message, people respond very well, but whenever you ramble on and on and everyone can tell that you just put something together real quick they more than likely will tune you out very fast.

It was pretty interesting how he brought up that one of his coaches in football told him the head coach was fussing at him a lot, but he pointed out that it was a good thing because that meant he had not given up on him. I really liked the quote that "Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted." I think that what he is saying here is work hard, and if you fail get up and try again. Life is never going to turn out exactly how we want it to, but that is what makes us stronger. When we as humans have to overcome adversity in our lives and we pull through it, it only makes us stronger individuals.

I liked the illustration of the brick wall. In this particular segment of the video I believe that he is telling us that whenever we run into a brick wall, we need to keep trying to go through it and not give up, because this is what separates the people who really want to achieve their goals, and those that just want to ease through it. Randy was a very unselfish man and I thought it was cool once he realized his childhood dreams could come true, he immediately tried to figure out ways he could make others childhood dreams come true.

I noticed that his building virtual worlds class was kind of like this class. There are many different students in this class that comes together and makes something and publishes it and then you get new teammates and do it again. The point he brought up about leaving something behind to someone else that you hold dearly to your life, is that you need to hand it over to someone that will do the same or even hold it more dearly to their live. What I believe he is saying is give your job to someone you know will respect what you have done with it and try and make it better than even you did.

Another similarity I noticed between his class and this class was where he said it was all project based. I really liked the project based class because it teaches you how to do stuff on you own instead of waiting on someone to tell you how to do it. His talk about he wants to make millions of kids have fun while learning something hard is awesome, I believe every teacher wants this but does not really know how to do it in their own way. This method of learning is definitely something that I hope to learn how to do one day. This video was pretty awesome, I must say when I seen it was an hour long I was really not wanting to watch, but I am so glad I did. Dr. Pausch legacy will definitely live on for a very long time, his teaching methods are one of a kind and I will definitely find other videos he has made to make my teaching decisions later on in my career.

2 comments:

  1. Great analysis Sam!

    You were talking about what he said about the coach taking time to correct and how that showed he cared. I tell my own kids this all of the time. You know, when I get that, "Why are you persecuting me?" look. I tell them that if I did not care about them I would let them go on and do things wrong but because I care I want to see them get it right. In fact, since I do care, with my own kids, I require that they get it right. This also speaks to another point he made about expectations.

    I agree with you about the projects based course being more effective. I think it is working well in EDM 310. Not only do students produce something that may be useful to them in the future but in the process they learn how to produce. I think more courses should be presented in this manner.

    Keep up the good work Sam. SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam,
    We had very similar views on the Randy Pausch video. We both liked the story he shared about his football coach. After reading your post I had forgotten why I had liked the story so much, and then you reminded me. It was the quote he used about experience, "Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.". Great post Sam.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete