Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Blog Post 2

A Vision of Students Today

Well the first thing I would like to point out, is the fact that I believe ninety-nine percent of college students would agree with this video. Not only does this video tell the truth about how busy everyone's lives are, but it also shows why we do not succeed in school like we should. The video brings up an interesting point when it points out that everything we do in a days time, adds up to twenty-six and a half hours. Unfortunately, we all know that there are only twenty-four hours in a day, so therefore something has to give, and most of the time it is the school work that gets shoved to the side.
This video absolutely sums up my college experience. The only thing different was my freshman year I was a student-athlete at William Carey University in Hattiesburg, Ms. It was very hard to mix and mingle my time on the baseball field and my time in the classroom together, in order to be able to succeed the way I wished to. The fact of me playing baseball and going to school at the same time would be the only thing I would change to make this video more relevant to me.

It's Not About the Technology!

This post was very interesting to me. While reading it, I became aware of no matter how much I teach children, if they have not learned anything, then nothing has been done. This post made me realize that unless we make sure that all of our teachers are becoming more technologically enhanced, we will never make any progress. If all we do is sit back and watch the world pass us by as teachers, then the percentage of kids that graduate a four year college will drop even more.
I do believe that no matter how much equipment that a teacher is given, unless it is used then all the money has gone to waste. I can remember how maybe thirty percent of my teachers in high school even knew how to use the Internet. This percentage needs to go up quickly or many teachers will be losing their jobs to new teachers that are computer smart. In the world today, I believe that teachers should learn from students and viceversa each and everyday.

Is It OKAY to Be Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
This post really opened up my eyes in the same was as the Mr.Winkle Wakes video. It showed me that being able to use computers efficiently is so demanding now a days, that it could possibly be the key to getting or not getting a job. One of the main things that got my attention was at the end where it said that we have to explore the internet world right along with our students everyday.
I do agree with the part that says schools whom turn out students that are just as technologically illiterate coming out, as they were going in, should be questioned. Each and everyday we are apart of something new in the technology world, and I believe unless something more is done in the classrooms of our middle and high schools, that the United States will continue to fall behind in the world of technology.

Gary's Social Media Count.

I believe that these numbers mean a lot. These number mean that I will have to know how to use the Internet efficiently. These numbers mean that while I am teaching, I will be dealing with a lot more distractions. These numbers mainly mean to me though that no matter what people are saying or what they think, the world is becoming so reliant on the internet that in a few years, it may be the only reliable resource used in schools.

2 comments:

  1. Samuel,

    I completely agree with your thoughts on the importance of technology in the classroom. It is imperative that as teachers we know how to use technology and actually use it in the classroom. My high school definitely had access to technology, but only a few teachers actually incorporated it into the classroom. Computers sat there collecting dust. If we are given the materials, we should be putting them to use. I also think it is so important that we are learning how to use technology, because like you said, we will continue to fall behind. I had a teacher this past year here at South that couldn't even attach a powerpoint to an email. It is unbelievable how many people around us are so far behind. How do you think we can change the statistics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post. I think that teachers need to realize how important it is for them to use technology in the class not only for their student but for their benefit as well. I agree with you that soon teachers that can not use technology are going to lose their jobs to those that can because its growing so fast and student need to be experienced and know how to use as much technology as possible. Just look at the counter at how fast things are growing and being sent in such a short amount of time it is only going to get faster.

    ReplyDelete