Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Blog Post 6

This is how we Dream!

Richard Miller made a very good point in the beginning where he stated that we now mostly carry around our laptops to work with, instead of having a lot of pencils and paper. I thought it was neat when he said he did a project on Virginia Tech healing after it had been a year since the shooting, and he did the whole thing with out ever going to a library. It was interesting where he showed how you can document all of your experiences and then combine all of them into one document.
You can really tell that Dr. Miller took a lot of time with these videos. I thought that he did a very good job of explaining each segment and that he really enjoyed doing what he loves to do. The most interesting part to me was when he said that he believed people will start using digital aspects, rather than using word processors.
I liked how he said that we are at the very edge of finding new ways to push ideas out to the public and that we need to come together to get the information out there. Both of these videos were very interesting and the information included in them, is definitely something I hope to learn how to do.

The Networked Student
This video to start with gave me a little bit of information on how to start a Personal Learning Network. I had never heard of Google Scholar. Once I heard about what it can do, I will definitely be using it to find well written and peer reviewed articles on certain topics. He also helped me by showing me that the website Delicious is used to post articles on and save them that way I can go back and retrieve then information quickly.

He tells us that once you have found articles that give you valid information, you can look them up on a blog to get someone else's opinion on it. Once he has read over the blog, he will post his own opinion that way he and others can discuss them. After he does this, he subscribes to that blog by using Google Reader. This will tell him immediately when someone comments on the blog, that way he can go and read it.

This video shows how important it is to know what all networks can be. He answered the question about why this student would still need a teacher. The teacher will help him whenever he gets stuck on a certain problem. She shows him how to find answers from other experts as well, and hopes that when the student exits her class, that he will continue his PLN.

Michael Wesch

He brought up an interesting topic that is very true, and that is the fact that people now a days are too focused on themselves, He points out that this a very bad thing to show the young generation coming up because this will only get worst over time if we do not do something now. He brought up a good point whenever he said that we come to know ourselves through our relations with others. I firmly agree with the fact the you act like who you hang around, and I believe this is what he is trying to tell us here. I liked how he should the video of the two kids in the recliner and Charley biting his brothers finger, and then showing how so many people copied this act. I think here he is trying to tell us that people tend to respond much more efficient to positive and funny things rather than negativity. In the end I liked how he showed how the word WHATEVER went from "I do not care, whatever you think." To the 90's how it went to "Whatever I do not care what you think". To now he is hoping that we will say " Let's do Whatever it takes by any means to get this done.


No comments:

Post a Comment